Who We Are
- Capital Photography Center was created by Marie Joabar who for more than a decade was the Education Programs Manager and Corporate Trainer at Penn Camera, one of Washington D.C.’s long standing photography retailers.
- Marie developed that company’s educational program growing it from three topics in 2003, to almost 50 in 2011, and earned it the reputation of having the area’s largest selection of classes with the widest variety of topics.
- When Penn Camera closed in January 2012, it was a logical choice to open Capital Photography Center to continue offering amateurs, hobbyists, and professionals the opportunity to learn about the areas of photography suited to their interests and tailored to their level of experience.
- The instructor list boasts some of the area’s best instructors; Professional Photographer and workshop leader for Rocky Mountain School of Photography, Tim Cooper, E. David Luria, founder of the Washington Photo Safari and Karen Messick, Award winning professional photographer just to name a few.
What We Offer
- Classes taught by experienced, professional photographers and renowned photographic educators selected not only for their in-depth knowledge in photography, but for their skill in conveying that knowledge.
- Small class sizes with most limited to just 10 to 15 students. This allows plenty of individual attention and makes learning an enjoyable experience.
- Classes taught in a variety of settings; hands-on in the field shooting, classroom style, in photography studios or at digital/computer labs.
- Whether you are a new camera owner wanting to better understand its features, an amateur photographer aspiring to become professional, or an experienced photographer wanting to learn the inner workings of Lightroom or Photoshop, you’ll find a class that addresses your needs, taught in a professional setting with an expert instructor
I look forward to seeing you at future classes in the hopes that you will learn, explore and capture your vision.- Marie Joabar