Jump start your career as a portrait photographer and learn the essentials of using natural light. Hone your craft and gain an understanding of how to ‘see’ natural light and how it can be used and modified to enhance your subject.
We begin with a lecture/presentation on using natural light to your advantage. From there, we cover different methods of working with your subjects and positioning them for the best results.
Participants will learn hands-on with their own cameras as we move outside during the “Golden Hour” and team up taking turns posing for each other. Afterwards each person will the opportunity to photograph one or two models to put all that was learned in practice.
* Reading the light – the ideal times
* Managing sun and shade
* Working with subjects – tips to put them at ease
* Enhancing and modifying the light – simple tools every portrait photographer should have
* Color balance and settings
* Working with environmental backgrounds
* Understanding what it’s like to be on the other side of the lens
This class is best suited to those with an understanding of exposure and can shoot in Aperture Priority or Manual exposure modes.
* A digital SLR camera
* Any lens in the range of 24-105mm or 70-200mm. Prime lenses in any of these ranges are ideal if you have them.
* Reflectors and diffusers if you have them (we will have some on hand at the class for participants to use).
Class Limit 10
Instructor: Elizabeth Bailey
Elizabeth (Betsy) has been photographing clients professionally for over 15 years . She is an award-winning member of the Virginia Professional Photographers Association, holding the Fellow of Photography degree. Her images have also merited with the prestigious Professional Photographers of America, with which she is a long-standing member. She has taught several Super One-Day classes for PPA and she regularly attends seminars and workshops for inspiration. With her clear and concise approach to teaching, your understanding of photography and natural light will increase.