With an expansive 23,000 acres, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Maryland’s Eastern Shore offers wonderful landscapes filled with wildlife. Spring migration will be in full swing and the refuge can be filled with a wide variety of songbirds.
Join Emily Carter Mitchell on an exploration of Blackwater NWR just after sunrise and drive the wildlife loop and improve your landscape composition skills including long exposures and panoramic images. While in continual search for wildlife expected species include the Delmarva Fox Squirrel, Great blue herons, Bald Eagles, Canada geese, and elusive warblers.
We will work on creating strong nature images with both landscape and wildlife as our subjects.
The essentials of nature photography including:
- Equipment and associated accessories needed for nature photography including:
- Filters for landscape photography
- Lenses and tripod kits for wildlife photography
- Creative composition with nature photography.
- Field techniques and ethics for wildlife photography.
- Technical aspects including camera settings, the histogram, understanding light and composition.
- Digital camera with a landscape (24-105mm) and a telephoto (150-600mm) lens.
- Filters including: Circular Polarizer, Graduated Neutral Density and Graduated Neutral Density 6 or 10 stop.
- Clean memory Card and fully charged battery along with an extra of each.
- Camera manual
What People Are Saying About Emily
“Thoroughly enjoyed the class, Emily is a wonderful instructor and I learned a lot! I really appreciate her taking the time working with me on lighting and composition even though I had a smaller compact camera. I'll look forward to taking other classes she teaches!"
"Emily was terrific. She gave explicit details re: camera settings, light, composition, and point of view. She was very patient and gave individual attention. I appreciated the opportunity to learn from her."
"Emily provided great instruction ahead of time, with tips and ideas. She was wonderful at making sure that everyone got the attention they needed and got real time feedback and help. Emily is awesome!"
Instructor: Emily Carter Mitchell
Emily Carter Mitchell is an outdoor photography enthusiast well known for her bird, nature and wildlife photography. With over 20 years in the travel and hospitality industry, the sense of adventure and discovering lesser known destinations continue to inspire Emily’s photographic endeavors.
As a gifted photographer and avid birder in the DELMARVA area, time and patience has given her the insight in understanding the behaviors and characteristics of the avian world. Capturing a moment that expresses personality and a sense of humanity within the natural world brings one closer to nature.
Emily is a published photojournalist and her work can be seen in the Bay Weekly, on numerous book covers and smart device apps. Her blog, Hoof Beats and Foot Prints blog is internationally recognized and showcases her beautiful images and insights on nature.
Emily teaches the birding, wildlife and the Adventures On The Trails classes for Capital Photography Center.