With an expansive 23,000 acres, Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Maryland’s Eastern Shore offers wonderful landscapes filled with wildlife. Spring migration will be in full swing and the refuge can be filled with a wide variety of songbirds.
Join Emily Carter Mitchell on an exploration of Blackwater NWR just after sunrise and drive the wildlife loop and improve your landscape composition skills including long exposures and panoramic images. While in continual search for wildlife expected species include the Delmarva Fox Squirrel, Great blue herons, Bald Eagles, Canada geese, and elusive warblers.
We will work on creating strong nature images with both landscape and wildlife as our subjects.
The essentials of nature photography including:
- Equipment and associated accessories needed for nature photography including:
- Filters for landscape photography
- Lenses and tripod kits for wildlife photography
- Creative composition with nature photography.
- Field techniques and ethics for wildlife photography.
- Technical aspects including camera settings, the histogram, understanding light and composition.
- Digital camera with a landscape (24-105mm) and a telephoto (150-600mm) lens.
- Filters including: Circular Polarizer, Graduated Neutral Density and Graduated Neutral Density 6 or 10 stop.
What People Are Saying About Emily
“Thoroughly enjoyed the class, Emily is a wonderful instructor and I learned a lot! I really appreciate her taking the time working with me on lighting and composition even though I had a smaller compact camera. I'll look forward to taking other classes she teaches!"
"Emily was terrific. She gave explicit details re: camera settings, light, composition, and point of view. She was very patient and gave individual attention. I appreciated the opportunity to learn from her."
"Emily provided great instruction ahead of time, with tips and ideas. She was wonderful at making sure that everyone got the attention they needed and got real time feedback and help. Emily is awesome!"
Instructor: Emily Carter Mitchell
Emily Carter Mitchell is an award winning and published nature and wildlife photographer based in Annapolis, Maryland. Through her work Nature as Art she brings a creative interpretation of the natural world around us bringing a sense of serenity in a world increasingly filled with chaos. There is a sense of stillness and ethereal attributes in her images that has one see beyond what is first obvious.
Emily holds a Master’s Degree in Global Management, with a corporate background in Human Resources and extensive years in the travel and hospitality industry. Her photographic journey began when she was a teenager and she has always enjoyed photography as a way to capture the world around her.
Emily’s passion of photography is shared with others through her nature and wildlife photography classes for Capital Photography Center based in the Metro DC area.
To enjoy her creative work, please visit Emily’s website at: www.emilymitchellphotographycom
Emily teaches the following classes for Capital Photography Center:
* Getting Started in Bird Photography
* Photo Adventures and to various parks and waterfalls
* A wide variety of In-The-Field Shooting classes
* Editing with Topaz