THIS COURSE IS ONLY BEING OFFERED ONLINE AT THIS TIME
Portraiture is one of today’s most valued genres of photography. Whether it is a timeless portrait of a loved one or a headshot for the corporate world, portraiture is relevant across the broad spectrum of photography.
Having the ability to take your own professional looking portraits can not only serve as a way to save some money on expensive studio portraits but can also be a way to beautifully document the people you love in a way that is meaningful to you and that represents your unique style of expression.
If you want to advance your portraiture skills and techniques and begin taking portrait images that are high in both quality and aesthetics, this class is for you. With the skills learned in this class, you will have full control over all the elements that go into making a successful portrait.
Topics covered in this class will include:
- Baseline camera settings for portraiture* (white balance, ISO, f/stop, Shutter Speed)
- Composition (ie: hand placement, camera angle, filling the frame)
- Posing Do’s and Don’ts
- Evoking expression
- Controlling the amount of light falling on your subject
- Shooting portraiture with natural window light
- Shooting portraiture with artificial light (continuous studio lights)
- How to control shadows to be hard or soft
- How to correct White Balance using a gray card in Lightroom
- Catherine will cover solid portraiture tips and techniques to help you get started with your own Portraiture in the 3 hour Zoom course. She will conduct a live demonstration and students will be able to see her set-up, her lighting, her camera and her tethered computer.
- The presentation and demonstration will be recorded for review at your leisure. Assignments will reinforce the course material and video feedback will be posted.
- Students will have access to Catherine via the "discussion" section for questions and support. Class notes will be available to download.
- All course content and recordings will be available after the course for approx. 3 weeks.
Participants will get the most out of this class is they have a solid understanding of exposure basics and are comfortable working in either Aperture Priority mode or Manual mode.
What People Are Saying About Catherine
"Catherine is terrific! Can't wait to take more of her classes."
"Catherine provided excellent instruction! She was both knowledgeable and very personable. I really enjoyed the class!"
"Catherine is very passionate about the topic and had a lot of great material to share with people."
Instructor: Catherine Simmons
Catherine is a studio and natural light photographer specializing in headshots and fine art portraiture. She has spent countless hours over the past 8 years fine tuning her skills in the studio and in Photoshop. When Catherine isn’t photographing, she can be found in the classroom sharing what she has learned with others.
Helping people learn and grow into their full potential as artists is a true privilege and one that she takes very seriously. She has been a popular instructor at Capital Photography Center since 2018. Additionally, she volunteers tutoring photography students at her local community college, and has taught beginner's workshops through the United Nations Photography Club in Vienna, Austria, where she spent a year living abroad with her family.
Catherine is currently a graduate student at Savannah College of Art and Design obtaining her Masters of Fine Arts degree in photography.
Catherine teaches the following classes for Capital Photography Center:
* Getting Started In Portraiture
* Family and Children Photography
* Editing for Portraiture