Appropriate for DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras with manual exposure settings.
Unlock the potential of your camera and embark on a journey to create amazing images. Whether you want to capture cherished moments with loved ones, document game-winning action, or preserve the beauty of your travels, our beginner photography classes provide the tools you need with hands-on practice.
Learn how to control the ‘look’ of your images by mastering the exposure settings, not relying on the auto mode of your camera. Develop the skills to select the perfect exposure settings, freeze or blur motion, and manipulate the depth of field to capture your desired look.
- Camera Controls: Gain proficiency in essential camera settings that directly impact exposure.
- Resolution & Compression: Optimize image quality through understanding resolution and compression settings.
- Manual Shooting Modes: Unlock the full potential of your camera by mastering various manual shooting modes.
- ISO Settings: Discover the impact of ISO settings on exposure and image quality.
- Shutter Speeds: Learn how to control motion to emphasize key elements in your photographs.
- Aperture and: Learn how to control Depth of Field and direct the viewer’s eye with aperture selection.
- Focus Settings: Discover the techniques for achieving sharp and precise focus in your images.
- White Balance: Achieve accurate and vibrant colors in your photos.
- Fill Flash: Discover the benefits of using fill flash to enhance your images.
- Lenses: Explore the choices of lenses available and how they can elevate your photography.
- Composition: Unleash your creativity by understanding the principles behind captivating photographs.
Our photography basics and manual exposure settings class is specifically designed for beginners seeking exposure knowledge to comfortably get off the Auto mode.
We encourage participants to bring their own cameras and follow along as the instructor guides you through camera features and exposure settings, enabling you to practice in real time. It is highly recommended to have an extra battery, a memory card, and your camera's instruction manual readily available.
Enthusiasts of this class may also find our In-the-Field-Shooting classes, particularly the FIELDWORK classes, invaluable for reinforcing the concepts covered in the classroom.
Questions can be directed to Marie Joabar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Class Limit: 10
What People Are Saying About Marie
“Marie is very friendly and was able to put herself in the mind of the beginner using clear and concise communication!”
“Marie clearly knows photography and comes from a technical perspective, but she has a talent for translating that technical information into understandable content and not everyone can do that! She was terrific!”
“The instructor made the class so interesting that it did not appear to be a four-hour class!”
“Marie struck the perfect balance of knowing her stuff and being non-intimidating!"
Instructor: Marie Joabar
Drawing on more than 12 years experience as the Corporate Trainer and Education Programs Manager for one of the Washington DC area’s leading camera retailers, Marie Joabar founded Capital Photography Center in January 2012.
With a talented staff of instructors and a wide variety of classes, its mission is to help those with a love of photography grow their passion and reach their goals - be it to capture better snapshots or become a professional photographer.
As an instructor herself, Marie finds just the right way to take complicated concepts and technology, and break the information down into easy-to-understand nuggets to share with others. Whether teaching photography basics or helping one better understand their camera, she works to take away one’s intimidation or sense of overwhelming that often accompanies learning new things so they can begin enjoying the craft and develop their skills.
Marie is also very active in the Shenandoah Valley where she teaches photography classes for Shenandoah County and writes the Shared Exposures photography column for “The Mountain Courier.” Her photos can be found in various print and online publications for the Shenandoah County Department of Tourism and have been published in various local magazines and newspapers.
She is a member of ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) and VECCA (Valley Educational Center for the Creative Arts). Her work can be seen on her website at www.mariejoabar.com.
Marie teaches the following classes for Capital Photography Center:
* DSLR Photography Basics
* Fieldwork - Photography Basics
* The Lightroom Library Module In Depth
* The Lightroom Develop Module In Depth
* And more