Join Instructors Geoff Livingston and Marie Joabar in Arches and Canyonlands Parks and explore the dramatic landscape.
Our Photo Ops
In the Moab area in Utah, we’ll explore the geological treasures in the Arches and Canyonlands parks. Each is special in its own way and offers plenty of photo ops of incredible vistas of the ancient landscape carved by the Colorado and Green Rivers. There will also be plenty of opportunities for both sunrises and sunsets, as well as astrophotography capturing the Milky Way and stars (weather permitting).
These are just some of the great natural wonders we’ll be visiting.
- Delicate Arch
- Double Arch and the Windows
- Landscape Arch
- Balanced Rock
- Park Avenue and Courthouse Towers
- Sand Dune and Broken Arches
- The Garden of Eden
- The Devil’s Garden
- Island in the Sky Canyonlands
- Grand View
- Mesa Arch sunrise
- Green River Overlook
Workshop techniques will cover:
- Astrophotography tips & techniques
- Editing with stacks
- Using the popular PhotoPills App
- Light painting in the dark of night
- Long exposures
- Exposure bracketing
Everyone will come away from this workshop with amazing images.
- Wednesday, Sept 21 through Sunday, Sept 25, 2022.
- The Workshop begins on Wednesday evening Sept 21 with a group dinner followed by a sunset shoot at Balanced Rock.
- We will be shooting first thing Thursday morning and the workshop continues through early Sunday morning, after which we will check out.
- There will be a little down time each afternoon when you can relax, take a nap, or explore the area around the hotel.
- $1660 per person
- A deposit of $500 deposit will hold your spot. The balance will be due by June 2022.
- Meals are not included in the fee. Plan to enjoy some meals as a group at restaurants in the area.
- Consider purchasing travel insurance to cover any non-refundable registration fees, travel, lodging, equipment rental or any other related expenses.
Accommodations (not included in the Workshop fee)
Rooms will be set aside for our group at a hotel and should run about $250 - $300 per night. Participants will contact the hotel directly to secure their room. More information about the hotel will be sent to you soon.
- This workshop is specifically designed to maximize our time in the field photographing, learning in a hands-on, real world fashion. We will be identifying and solving photographic problems in the field as they come up.
- The group size is purposely being kept small at just 10 students with 2 instructors so that everyone will be able to get questions answered and have time for one on one instruction.
- Digital camera with manual exposure controls.
- Lenses from wide angle (at least 18mm but wider if you have it) to telephoto of around 105mm. If you want to bring a longer focal length you can but you may not have as much opportunity to use it based on what we're shooting.
- Circular Polarizing filter
- Neutral Density filter – split either a Variable or a 6 stop & 10 stop for long exposures.
- Strong sturdy tripod and head with remote trigger.
- Laptop if you would like to download your images during the workshop.
- Rain cover for you and your camera just in case.
- Photo Pills app
We recommend you have knowledge of exposure basics and are somewhat comfortable with your camera’s manual settings. You won’t want to use the time at the workshop to learn photo basics or the basic functions of your camera. However, Geoff and Marie will be available in the field with suggestions about exposure, composition and technique.
High temperatures average mid 80s during fair weather, and lows and overnight temperatures average in the upper 50s and lower 60s degrees. There is a chance for both sunny and cloudy days which provides a nice mix of conditions.
Essentials include hiking boots with good ankle support, shorts, pants, long and short-sleeve shirts, and a hoodie, wind-breaker or light jacket for evenings. Be sure to bring sunscreen and sunglasses. A wide brimmed hat can come in handy too.
- Transportation to and from Moab is not included in the workshop fee and participants are responsible to get there on their own. If flying, there is a local airport about 20 miles awy, Canyonlands, Moab (CNY), that Unites Airlines provides service to. There are some rental car companies there and depending on the number of people coming into this airport and the time, we may be able to help coordinate a shuttle for you. You can also look at flying into Grand Junction Colorado (GJT) about 120 miles from Moab or Salt Lake City Airport (SLC), about 234 miles away from Moab.
In order to get the most out of this workshop, you should be able to walk about 2 to 3 miles per day, and be able to traverse trails that can be rocky. The trails are relatively short, but we will cover a lot of ground. If you have questions or concerns about this please contact Marie Joabar and she can discuss with you.
Questions can be directed to Marie Joabar at email@example.com
We’re really looking forward to this workshop and hope you will join us there.
What People Are Saying About Geoff
"This is a class that could easily go several hours more.... Jeff was awesome and looked to make sure that everyone had time for discussion and review."
"Geoff is terrific, class was a lot of fun!"
"I was very satisfied with the class and with Geoff in particular."
"Geoff clearly loves what he does and he shared his enthusiasm with the class. There was a range of experience among the people in the class (I was definitely the rookie), and he seemed to meet everyone where they were. I look forward to taking another of his classes."
"Geoff did an amazing job and showed us some fascinating photography spots on the National mall. But more importantly, the tips I learned from him I believe have taken my night photography to another level, the level I wanted to be at. For example, on reviewing one of my early shots he stated that I was over exposing my subject in the context of night/low light photography and that advice helped me to take such amazing shots afterwards. I finally feel I have it."
"I thought amount of instruction and practice was great! I gained a lot of confidence and understanding of why and how to adjust settings. I also appreciated learning more about metering and my camera. Geoff was very knowledgeable on different camera brands which really helped many in the class! "
Instructor: Geoff Livingston
Geoff Livingston is an award-winning professional photographer in the Washington, DC Area. He provides event photography, photojournalism, portraits, engagement shoots, and fine art photography.
Geoff has photographed President Barack Obama, Super Model Kendall Jenner, Actress Rosario Dawn, Actress Neve Campbell, Actress Gabrielle Union, Six Time MLB All Star Prince Fielder, and Republican Presidential Candidate John Kasich among others. His corporate experiences include Audi USA, Bank of America, the National Park Foundation, the National Park Service, Pearson Education, USA Today and more.
His fine art photography has been featured byExposed DC, Glen Echo Photoworks, the Art League and Del Ray Artisans in several exhibitions. His photography and photographic insights have also been featured in PetaPixel, NikonRumors, National Geographic, UK Magazine Digital Photographer, the Huffington Post, and Digital Photography School.
Geoff's work can be seen at geofflivingston.com
Geoff teaches the following classes for Capital Photography Center:
* Night Photography On the Mall
* Street Art and Mural Photography